Friday, June 19, 2009

Show and Tell: Clunkers

I haven't blogged since GM filed for bankruptcy, how appropriate that I decided to blog today since I just did another story about cars. Although, this story was about potentially good news for the auto industry. The "Cash for Clunkers Program" would give incentives to turn in a car that is bad on gas and not worth a whole lot - hence the name clunker. I had pitched this story idea three weeks ago before the bill had passed in the House or Senate. Now it just needs a signature from President Obama.

The obvious angle would be to find someone with a clunker they wanted to turn in. I ended up doing the story as more of an explainer with the dealer's perspective. Really, I didn't have a lot to work with so it was important to make it interesting. I knew it would be tiring listening to one guy from the dealer promote the program. I wanted to break up his bites with an explanation of what makes a clunker. To do this I did a multi-part stand up with a grease maker. I needed multiple shots to keep it visual. I also needed to sequence, sequence, sequence. I wrote the four points I wanted to get across on different parts of a van so I could keep moving.

When I edited all the pieces together the stand up was 26 seconds. Seems long but I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I also think it fit well into the overall story.


No comments:

Post a Comment