Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Lansing Breakfast Club

How do you put the social in social networking? When I think about that question I'm reminded of this Daily Show video. It's an old one but I've always remembered it because there's a good point... How well do you know the people you friend or follow on the internet? Do you even know them at all?
The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Trendspotting - Social Networking
http://www.thedailyshow.com/
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorHealth Care Crisis
Enter the Lansing Breakfast Club. It's a way to bring people together who met over the internet. Basically the club is a weekly tweet-up with a theme. Two co-workers started it because they wanted to meet more people in the Lansing community. They got the word out through Twitter and Facebook. The idea was to meet for breakfast every Wednesday at 7am. The first week 6 people showed up, 16 weeks later they've had as many as 60 at one breakfast. Not only does the club bring local professionals together, it also supports local businesses. I found out about the club through twitter and as a reporter I wanted to see what it was all about. I went to a breakfast to check it out and knew I had to do a story. Next week I showed up with a camera and turned this piece for our "Tell Me Something Good" segment. The funny thing is I'm still going to the Lansing Breakfast Club. After we shot the story one of our videographers said wow that's really cool we should go next week. A few weeks later I'm happy to report we've been regulars ever since.

You can find the club on Twitter just search #LansingBreakfast or become a fan on their Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment