Sunday, March 1, 2009

Resources for Breaking News

Last night I was working on my 8 On Your Money HFR and about to blog (I swear)... when we started getting a lot of traffic over the scanner. There was a rollover accident and house fire around 9pm on Saturday. The producers asked me if I'd go out to grab some video, so of course I couldn't say no. Plus, running out to get video didn't seem like a bad idea since I had been logging tape pretty much all day. I ended up going out with Kevin Schwaller to the accident. We interviewed the victim's dad and got video. Then, I remembered my still camera in the car so I started taking pictures. I also remembered twitter so I started tweeting updates.

After the accident was cleared we were on our way back to the station when we got a phone call that there was a residential structure fire. Change in plans, off to the fire. I continued to tweet updates and I also took pictures at the fire.

When we finally got back to the station I uploaded all my photos on the KOMU flickr. It was also helpful to have the still photos for the lead image. Then Kevin and I imported all our video. We cut stories for the web using sound from our interviews and b-roll from the scene. I think this was a really good way to get the information on the web long after the news was over.

Links: Rollover Accident and House Fire

Side Note: This week I also finished the flash map I was working on for my HFR. I am very excited to put that up on the web soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment